How do you type with boxing gloves on?
From Homestar Runner Wiki
"How do you type with boxing gloves on?" and its variants are questions that Strong Bad is asked on a regular basis in his emails. The Brothers Chaps obviously must be asked it so often that they made it a running gag.
Strong Bad hates this question, and it is often DELETED. Old-Timey Strong Bad is apparently frequently asked the similar question, "How do you manage the telegramophone whilst wearing gentleman's sport gloves?" Strong Bad parodies this question in the Fan Costume Commentary and the email vacation. In the DVD commentary for the email video games, The Brothers Chaps say that they might come up with a way to answer this question someday. However, in February 2006, they also included this question as one of five topics which will likely never be addressed in a Strong Bad Email.
Strong Bad himself starts to ask this question when he's forced to type for the first time in an Easter Egg in Hremail 7. The Cheat cuts him off with some "smart thinking," suggesting that he is responsible for coming up with Strong Bad's mysterious typing method.
From what little we've seen, it seems Strong Bad merely presses his gloved hands upon the keyboard just as any typist would, and the appropriate keys are pressed and depressed without interference. On a related note, Strong Bad seems capable of typing not only with his boxing gloves, but with any part of his body he wishes. In sisters he types "head—hit—keyboard" by striking the keyboard with his head, and in funny he types "WOAH!! I CAN TYPE WITH ONE FOOT!" by hitting the keyboard with his foot. In bottom 10, he even typed when his keyboard was covered in vomit, and in tape-leg, he typed with one hand while removing tape from his shoe. Likewise, in crying, he typed a complete sentence, with punctuation and spelling, with one hand, while holding up a drawing of Li'l Brudder with the other.
Oddly enough, in dullard Strong Bad types with his thumbs facing up, as if he were touching the keys with the bottoms of his fists.
At one point, in the email fingers, he tried prosthetic fingers made of various items such as prawn, action figures, etc. Their effect on his typing skills, though, was disastrous. However, in morning routine he was able to type successfully with a Potate bag covering his right hand.
In the email part-time job, Strong Bad portrays himself in a drawing without his left glove on, displaying 3 fingers instead.
- Email spring cleaning
- Email 50 emails (Homestar tries to delete this one)
- Email fingers
- Email huttah!
- Fan Costume Commentary
- Email virus (at the end, in Strong Bad's crying scene, as "How do you text with boxing gloves on?")
- Email pop-up (on the Tandy page in the pop-up book as "HOW TYPE BOX GLOVES?")
- Sbemail 150?!?
- Email your funeral
- Email email thunder (DVD commentary) (Matt Chapman asks, "How does Homestar type with no gloves of any kind on?")
- Hremail 7 (While waving his arm, Strong Bad starts to ask "How am I supposed to type with—" before The Cheat cuts him off with a reply. Strong Bad accepts The Cheat's answer.)
- Email independent — Strong Bad's intro rap is about how he prefers to click prompts, and typing them "made [his] boxing gloves sick".
- Email videography
- Email some kinda robot — Strong Bad is asked if he takes off his boxing gloves before going to bed.
- Email the bird — Strong Bad was asked if it was hard to flip someone off with boxing gloves on.
- Fan Costume Commentary — Strong Bad comments "Dear Strong Bad, how do you type with pieces of crappy red foam taped around your hands?" on the first costume.
- Nintendo Power July 2008 Interview — Strong Bad is asked "How hard is it to play Wii with your Power Glove on?"
- Strong Badia the Free — Strong Bad complains that he can't make template emails on the Snacky 186 with boxing gloves on, and says that "Typing I can handle; don't ask me how."
- Doomy Tales of the Macabre — Strong Bad's fate is having his gloves replaced with human hands. He then claims that he's hideous and asks how he will ever type with waggly knuckled monstrosities.
- Poker Night at the Inventory — Tycho asks Strong Bad how he does "anything even remotely interesting with hands like that?"