They Might Be Giants
From Homestar Runner Wiki
|Origins||Brooklyn, New York|
|Genre(s)|| Alternative rock|
|Members|| John Flansburgh|
|Discography||Extensive listing at TMBW.net|
The story of the Homestar Runner collaboration:
"It was very circuitous. ... A photograph was taken of me wearing a Homsar shirt, which is one of the more obscure characters in Homestar. I was at an in-store thing wearing this shirt and a fan had taken a photograph of me signing their book or whatever, and the photograph of me showed up in some blog, and somebody made them aware of it. They were like, 'Hey look, they're wearing your shirt, you guys,' and so [the Brothers Chaps] knew that we were fans. And I guess Linnell kind of reached out to them and said, 'You know, if there's anything you want us to do, if you have any musical needs for your site or whatever, we'd be certainly happy to help you guys out,' and they took us up on that offer. We did a bunch of things with them — we did a jam session with the Homestar puppet, and they did this video for 'Experimental Film' — and it's kind of a mutual admiration society. We really enjoy what they do." — John Flansburgh from an interview in the Tucson Weekly, 19 August 2004
- They composed and performed the music for the email different town.
- John, John, and Marty jam with Homestar Runner in the Puppet Jam series.
- The Brothers Chaps animated the video for Experimental Film, one of the songs from their 2004 CD The Spine and The Spine Hits The Road. This video was listed as the official music video for the song, and it aired once on MTV.
- They also animated the video for Figure Eight for the band's children's DVD, Here Come The 123s.
- Puppets Homestar and Marshie joined They Might Be Giants onstage in Atlanta for their September 25, 2004 concert.
- Puppet Strong Bad joined They Might Be Giants onstage in Atlanta for their May 3, 2006 concert.
- Puppet Homestar Runner joined They Might Be Giants onstage in Atlanta for their March 15, 2008 concert.
- The Johns mentioned on a radio interview that they worked with the Brothers Chaps over a year ago for material that has not been released yet, similar to Experimental Film, and that they are going to be working again over the summer.
- They performed the intro song for email thunder, the 200th Strong Bad Email. It was later released on They Might Be Giant's 2011 album Album Raises New and Troubling Questions.
- They collaborated on a new song with the Brothers Chaps called Crystal Fortress. The song features Strong Bad and Limozeen-style vocals and guitars, and has a Powered by The Cheat music video.
- Puppet Homestar again appeared on stage in Atlanta for They Might Be Giants' March 5, 2010 concert.
 Fun Facts
- In Thy Dungeonman 3, there is an excerpt from Fingertips when you type something that doesn't compute with the game (beginning with "I don't understand you...").
- Strong Sad quotes They Might Be Giants lyrics for the song "Don't Let's Start" in his blog; "Everybody dies, frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful".
- On January 30, 2008, They Might Be Giants "took over" Y-Rock on WXPN 88.5 as DJs, and featured An Important Rap Song.
- At a concert on February 23 and July 29, 2008, They Might Be Giants' drummer, Marty Beller, wore a Coach Z T-Shirt.