Halloween is all up ons
From: Halloween Potion-ma-jig
Posted on: 15:52, 2 November 2005 (UTC)
- Bubs seems to have been a little more elaborate than Strong Bad, but he's still drawn muscles on himself with a marker.
- Bubs is not flexing. The Stinkoman image below doesn't even apply, since he is an anime caricature of Strong Bad. You wouldn't expect regular Strong Bad to be able to do that. Also, flexing doesn't account for the chest hair.
- Bubs isn't wearing a special shirt, either. Look at the costumes over the years. Whenever possible, the characters are depicted wearing their regular clothes under their costumes. Bubs has drawn over his "natural" bright-orange upper body, suggesting that his chest is "bare" rather than that he's wearing something there.
- Wild speculation is bad; reasonable, thought-out speculation is not necessarily bad.
- Suggested compromise revision: The muscles on Bubs' costume bear a strong resemblance to Strong Bad's Ab-Abber 2000, introduced in suntan.
- Speculation, speculation. We don't know if it was drawn on, or part of the material like Slim Goodbody.
- in the Ab-Abber 2000 the lines are much darker
- We don't know that Bubs isn't flexing, and even if looks EXACTLY like the Ab-Abber, there is no mention of it and we can't be sure. Such speculation has not been allowed in the past.
- Although it's possible that the lines have been drawn in on Bubs' chest, the costume does not seem to be intended to evoke recognition of the Ab-Abber.
- Bubs has claimed to be wearing a shirt in the past. (See the process)
- However, Bubs's normal state shows his upper body, including his arms and "hands", as fully bright-orange. Wearing a shirt would suggest more details in the upper-body region.
- Also, in the process, Bubs mentions tearing off his shirt, adding "Much to the delight of my lady-friends", and Strong Bad dismisses the whole statement as "that never happens". That suggests that Bubs is just full of it and isn't to be taken seriously.
- A quick Google image search will turn up many images of a bare-chested Apollo Creed. Logically, Bubs would be bare-chested as well, to make his costume more authentic.
- This was the first thing that came to my mind when I was watching this toon.
The muscles on Bubs' costume bear a strong resemblance to the markings made by Strong Bad's Ab-Abber 2000
, introduced in suntan
- The Ab-Abber is the pen not the drawing. This is like saying, "That painting strongly resembles Picasso's paint brush"
- I've changed the fact a little bit.
- The lines on Bubs' chest are dark orange, the same as his outline. The Ab-Abber is a black marker.
- The abs on bubs look nothing like the ones on strong bad (or later, strong sad).
- The only similarity, really, is that they're both faked muscles. Perhaps this fact started when someone assumed that what we're seeing is Bubs' bare chest, but as has already been pointed out (the process), he's wearing a shirt. Bubs' muscles here really have more in common with Strong Mad's Slim Goodbody than the Ab-Abber.
- We do not have proof that Bubs is wearing a shirt - he only claims to be wearing one.
- On the other hand, it's been emphasized many times that Strong Bad is not wearing a shirt. If Bubs is shirtless, no one has ever commented on it.
- It's probably just a coincidence... HomestarRunner.com didn't make abs, or even fake abs.
- If we removed the "strongly," then I might accept. But I don't think TBC had the ab-abber in mind when they made bubs costume.
- Re pen vs. drawing: Does everything have to be spelled out? I think people will understand what this means.
- Also, I thought it was well-understood that the joke behind the Ab-Abber is that somehow giving it a special name gives you the abs you've always wanted.
- Well, the person writing that arg against wants it spelled out, and the purpose of this process is to please as many people as possible.
- I just think it's a bad fact. Just because we see someone's abs or a chest, doesn't make this a reference.
- Strong Resemblence? Where? They look very different to me.
- Indeed. Part of the entire joke of the ab-abber was that there were no pectoral muscles(as pointed out by Marzipan), just a big row of abs, up to the neck. Bubs certainly has pecs here.
[ Back to STUFF index ]