From Homestar Runner Wiki
Here are some tips to get you started:
- If you need general information, editing tips, or answers to frequently asked questions, check out the help page.
- Before you do any significant editing, be sure to familiarize yourself with our wiki standards.
- Read up on the rules and guidelines for your user page.
- If you're not sure what you can do to help out, head over to The Stick.
- If you're looking for more community interaction, you can also register over at our forum.
- Above all, be sure to be bold and have fun!
Feel free to delete this message when you're done reading it. After all, your user page belongs to you. I hope this information is helpful, and that you'll have a good experience contributing to our knowledge-base and our community.
Hey there, Retromaniac! It be me again. I noticed you've been making a lot of edits to your signature in the talk page for The Fort Wayne Locomotive. If you want to learn how to customize your signature, go to HRWiki:Signature. For now, just user four tildes (~~~~) to sign your posts on talk pages. This will provide a link to your (currently nonexistant) user page. Oh, and another thing: you might want to use the Edit summaries more often. They make patrolling recent changes a lot easier for us. Keep on helping the Wiki! — Has Matt? (talk) 03:18, 24 January 2006 (UTC)
Hey! Thanks for adding that fact to the DVD commentary for Ballad of The Sneak. I want to encourage you to use the handydandy "Show preview" button, though. That way you can avoid eight consecutive edits moving punctuation around and trying to get links to work. —AbdiViklas 00:54, 5 June 2006 (UTC)
 Hip Hop
Please do not bring back a deleted page. Hip Hop does not have enough references in FCUSA to warrant a page. Plus, "Not Talkin' Bout Butter" is most definitely not a hip-hop song. ¤ The Mü Talk to me. 22:38, 21 August 2006 (UTC)
 Edit Summary
Hello, and thanks for contributing to the HRWiki. When editing a page, there is a field labeled "Summary" under the main edit-box. Please remember to always fill in the summary field, as even a short summary is better than no summary. Indicate in the edit summary field why you changed the page; this will greatly help other contributors in understanding your reasoning. Thanks. Loafing 22:51, 5 September 2006 (UTC) (P.S.: This is especially important when you know that someone will disagree with your edit)
- Dude, I really mean it. It's not very helpful to not use the summary. Loafing 01:46, 6 September 2006 (UTC)
- In this case, for example, I would have nearly reverted your edit because I couldn't see why you deleted that fact. Only because I gave you the benefit of the doubt and spend some time to see what was going on did I not revert it. In this case, an edit summary like "already mentioned under Trivia" would save others unnessecary work and ensures that your edits don't get reverted. A wiki is teamwork, and if you work in a team, you have to communicate your actions. Loafing 21:15, 20 September 2006 (UTC)
 Using Show Preview
Hello, and thanks for contributing to the HRWiki. I want to point out the Show Preview button. It's right next to the Save Page button when you edit. You should use it whenever you are making a lot of experimental edits, for example when you are trying to get formatting right. Using the Show Preview button is quicker and easier than saving and clicking "edit" again, and will keep recent changes and page histories from being flooded. Thanks. — Lapper (talk) 16:26, 6 September 2006 (UTC)
 Recent page creations
Hey there, Retromaniac. We're all very glad that you're so eager to contribute to HRWiki with an abundance of new articles, but it appears the majority of these have been deleted, or are up for some form of transfer. We understand that you may be frustrated by this, but the answer is not to continuously create more of these "word running gag" pages. Such pages include Lurker, Nerd, Freakin, Lack of a visible mouth, Lack of visible hands/fingers, For Good or For Awesome, and Hip Hop. You'll find that articles of or involving minor action repeats and/or repititions of words aren't going to stay on the wiki for a very long time. We suggest contributing to all ready existing articles, and once in a while creating a notable article that you can assure isn't like the others. Thank you for your time. — Lapper (talk) 12:26, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
- I sincerely apologize for my obsessive page creations. I suppose I do it out of boredom. I will work on reducing things, and focus on enhancing other pages. I would like to inform you that Freakin was not my doing, so don't blame me for that. Retromaniac 16:26, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
- No prob bob. Retromaniac 16:32, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
 Main Page 10
Hey there Retromaniac. Please see the It's dot com 03:29, 2 October 2006 (UTC)as well as the links they contain for info as to why Flash artifacts are not notable. Thanks. —
 User Page
I see that you've been contributing to the wiki quite a lot. You should make a user page so that people can know more about you. Also, people without user pages are usually very new or trolls, so it might boost your rep a bit, too. -Brightstar Shiner 22:18, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
 The Beatles
 Using Show Preview
Hello, and thanks for contributing to the HRWiki. I want to point out the Show Preview button. It's right next to the Save Page button when you edit. You should use it whenever you are making a lot of experimental edits, for example when you are trying to get formatting right. Using the Show Preview button is quicker and easier than saving and clicking "edit" again, and will keep recent changes and page histories from being flooded. Thanks. --DorianGray
 Sorry to burst your bubble... but
- Um, there is no peasant's quest movie. THERE WILL NEVER BE ONE. See for yourself. Anyway, I think Strong Bad is pretty cool. Merry Christmas, TheYellowDart—(t/c)
- Ohhhhh. LOL
 Last defenders of Pac-Man
I know you as the person who first suggested the rhyming 3 is 4 toniters. I was the person who explained why (rhyming 2 sylables, then 1 sylable). Now we are the only ones voting to accept it. Wow.
 Removing talk threads
Please don't It's dot com 00:23, 15 March 2007 (UTC)from any talk page (with the possible exception of this one). They are an important part of our wiki record. Thanks. —
Please don't OptimisticFool 00:08, 23 October 2007 (UTC)from any talk page (with the possible exception of this one). They are an important part of our wiki record. Thanks.
Hey Retromaniac, I feel I must apologize for my edit summary yellings on Nintendo. I have been known to lose all sanity at certain points in the day. (And, I'm sorry my apology is late. I have no time on weekdays. ;-)) Bluebry 23:09, 13 April 2007 (UTC)
It's alright. Retromaniac 03:52, 14 April 2007 (UTC)
 Using Show Preview
Hello Awexome, I see that you have made several consecutive edits to the same page. I want to point out the Show Preview button. It's right next to the Save Page button when you edit. You should use it whenever you are making a lot of experimental edits, for example when you are trying to get formatting right. Using the Show Preview button is quicker and easier than saving and clicking "edit" again, and will keep recent changes and page histories from being flooded. Thanks, Loafing 22:53, 9 August 2007 (UTC)
- Dude, this is the *fourth* show preview notice on your talk page. Do something about it. Loafing 22:55, 9 August 2007 (UTC)
About a week ago I placed Homsar's latest quote down at Analysis of Homsar's Speech Patterns and the interpretation of it. I dislike how I've worded it and can't think of a better way to explain it. Can you think of a better wording or do you think it's fine? -WarthogDemon 03:04, 6 November 2007 (UTC)
Hey, Retro/Awexome, if you could go check out the comment I've last made on Talk:bike_thief and offer up your opinion, I would really appriciate it! My reasons why are there. -- Onamuji 01:54, 5 March 2008 (UTC)
 Black Metal Detector
Hello there. Are you going to add any explanation on why you added a TBD template to this legitimate item page? I'm not going to remove it, as you probably have many good reasons to why this fine article should be discussed. I'm also going to assume that you have not yet put your thoughts into words, and therefor have not yet written your reasons. Be that as it may, if don't give any explanation on your motives I, or any other user, will just remove said template from said page. Thank you, — Elcool (talk)(contribs) 19:27, 8 March 2008 (UTC)
Did you mean to remove the template? If you did, what was your reason? If that "oops" refers to me I would like you to know that I did intend to remove the other template but not the tbd. Bad Bad Guy 20:54, 8 March 2008 (UTC)
 New Talk Page Discussions
Hi Awexome. I've been noticing that you tried to make new posts by typing the headlines yourself with the equal signs. I just wanted to remind you about that little "+" button on the top of the talk pages for new discussions. When you don't use it the edit summary makes it look like you are just replying to what somebody else said. Sorry if this post if pointless. Bad Bad Guy 01:33, 9 March 2008 (UTC)
- Actually, it's quite a good piece of advice. Use the + to start a new talk thread, always. Use the edit link on a thread only when replying to that thread. See HRW:TALK for more. - Qermaq - (T/C) 05:24, 9 March 2008 (UTC)
- That plus button is really cool. Seriously, why not give it a shot? It won't bite, i promise. — DeFender1031*Talk 17:58, 10 March 2008 (UTC)
 Flooded the Recent Changes Again
Since I noticed you've already received quite a few requests to use the "show preview" button, I'll only say 3 things about it:
- Using the Preview button also saves the trouble of clicking "save page" and then "edit" repeatedly.
- Just in case you don't know where it is, it's in between "save page" and "show changes".
- You can not select it by pressing "enter" on your keyboard. You have to click on it with the mouse. Sorry if the wording of this message is too rude, but I didn't know how else to teach you since at least 3 people aready failed. Bad Bad Guy 21:16, 11 March 2008 (UTC)
- Hey, guess what? show preview is cool, especially when doing tricky formatting that you're likely to get wrong the first few times. — DeFender1031*Talk 18:32, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
 Tagging pages that already have consensus to keep
Hi, Awexome. In the past month or so, I've seen a couple cases where you've tagged an article for a deletion or merger after a discussion on the article has already reached to keep the article, namely LELLOWTAPE and Best/Worst X bucks I ever spent. Unless you have some clearly new argument against the article, which it doesn't look to me like you had, it's generally bad form to tag something for deletion when a discussion has just recently been closed as keep. Heimstern Läufer 01:02, 4 April 2008 (UTC)