From Homestar Runner Wiki
(Redirected from Swearing)
From the Tastes Like Chicken Interview:
INTERVIEWER: But what are the reasons behind keeping the site ad-free and making it clean enough for kids to view?
MIKE: It's really just more of our style, too. It wasn't a super hard decision to make. We probably would have been doing it like this anyway. We've always leaned toward the more subtle type of humor, as opposed to over-the-top.
MATT: But when we get our sketch comedy show, dude, there's going to be so many swears!
Even given this attitude, there have been many examples of various degrees of swearing on the website, both stated and implied.
- Hairstyle Runner — Three heads in the gallery are titled "smartass" (a swear in and of itself), "mother frig" (substitute for "mother fuck"), and "bad motivator finger" (referring to the middle finger).
- Old Characters Page — Bubs's description says that he makes "a helluva sno-cone".
- Second and Third Games Menu — The titlebar for both pages reads, in part, "for the whole damn family!". Also, on the Second Games Menu, the description for the Homestar Talker reads, "Homestar says the darndest things. You want to make him swear don't you? Shame on you. Call your mother."
- Homestar's Yearbook — Homestar states, "Sign my yearbook! ...but don't use any swears, because my mom reads it."
- In Search of the Yello Dello — The first deleted scene's description mentions that it was deleted because of Homestar's "foul mouth". The foul language was most likely the phrase "freakin' duck".
- According to its description, the secret deleted scene had to be revised because of Marzipan swearing, but the disclaimer announces that the version shown is "the fancy prancey" edited version.
- Thorax Corporation — There are swear words scattered across the site, including "hell", "ass", and "piss".
- Additionally, an alternate version of Poot Slap found on the site contains several vulgar words and phrases.
- Email trevor the vampire — Strong Bad types "What the f" before he interrupts himself, suggesting he was going to type "what the fuck".
- Email the bird — Strong Bad, Pom Pom and Homestar all supposedly give "the finger" gesture, even though none of them have visible fingers.
- Email sugarbob — One of Strong Bad's instant messages contains the word "lmao", which means "laughing my ass off". Another one reads, "SB is the shizzle", which in this context means "Strong Bad is the shit".
- Email sb_email 22 — Strong Bad edits the phrase "Thank You" to "Nevermind the Bullocks", a misspelling of a British slang term that can either mean testicles or nonsense (similar to the American English "bullshit").
- Later, at a press conference, Strong Bad causes controversy by saying "Screw all y'all."
- Strong Sad's Lament — One of the emoticons is called "the frig?".
- Email comic — In an Easter egg, one of the records visibly displays the phrase "You Stupid Asshole" (a single by the band Mudhoney). This was later censored in strongbad_email.exe, but remains uncensored on homestarrunner.com.
- Email cheat talk — In an Easter egg, an announcer translates one of The Cheat's phrases as "Check it out, this is going to be great. Just say 'Screw all y'all!'" (a direct reference to sb_email 22), then adds "And now on to Lesson 2: All the swears." The record is cut short before the second lesson begins.
- Email monster truck — The fried chicken bucket reads "KnF'nC".
- TROGDOR! — If downloaded and viewed in Flash, entering the Konami Code garners the phrase "Hot damn, you got it right!" in the output box.
- Teen Girl Squad Issue 3 — Cheerleader thinks her elephant head is "hella tight".
- Email no loafing — Strong Bad says one of his posters (with the caption "Failure is not a 4-letter word") talks about cussing.
- Email army — In the DVD commentary, Matt notes that viewers often mistook one of Homestar's lines, which contains the word "frigging", for swearing.
- Peasant's Quest — Typing "What the fuck" yields the response, "Come now. Don't get discouraged."
- While in Trogdor's lair, typing "talk trogdor" when Trogdor is asleep yields the response, "You yell some choice expletives at Trogdor but he doesn't wake up. There's a cool echo, though."
- Marzipan's Answering Machine Version 11.2 — Thinking that he had been given the cold shoulder after asking for a seven-letter word, Homestar asks for a four-letter word for censoring a cuss word, which ends up being "beep".
- Teen Girl Squad Issue 7 — The girls react to Tompkins's comment, "Heck, I'm taller than you" by shouting "TOMPKINS MADE A SWEAR!!!"
- Commandos in the Classroom —
- Pony Fights 2 is rated PG-13 for "Severe cussing and very illegal pony fights".
- Reynold attempts to "swear a cuss", then says "diaper biscuits", causing the rest of the Commandos to laugh at him.
- When Reynold says "I might as well go home and get teen pregnant", Gunhaver calls him a "Cheat Cuss-mando".
- Email lady fan — Marzipan calls Strong Bad a "horse's twees". Homestar first used the word "twees" to refer to Strong Bad's butt, also calling it "your buttweesimo", so we can surmise that Marzipan meant "horse's ass", a common insult.
- Email space program — Strong Bad describes the SBASAF logo as "kick-awesome".
- Kid Speedy — One of the items that causes Kid Speedy to lose all his speed is "@!?#!", a term often used in comic strips to represent swearing.
- Similarly, in Homestar Ruiner, the Nuisance Trophy's figurine is a bunch of symbols like in Kid Speedy.
- Strongest Man in the World — After a very angry string of bubbles from Pom Pom, a shocked Homestar asks him to "tone down the language".
- In the DVD commentary, the Brothers Chaps speculate on what Pom Pom said and whether he "dropped an F-bomb". They decide he "definitely dropped an S-bomb".
- Email 4 branches — When Strong Bad tries to free Homestar from the water cooler, Homestar says, "Stop! Sweet genius, that hurt!" This is a substitution for the phrase "sweet Jesus".
- Sbemail 169 Deleted Scene — The abbreviation "WTPF" (What the pfargtl?) is used as a substitute for the abbreviation "WTF" (What the fuck?).
- Another play on "WTF" is again seen in email thunder when Strong Bad says "WTC" (What the crap?).
- Homestar Ruiner — After The Cheat scolds Strong Bad for kicking him, Strong Bad replies, "Hey, do you kiss your hot mom with that mouth?" However, decompiling the game shows that the supposed swear is "pink boy".
- Strong Badia the Free — After the The Cheat shares his opinion on the King of Town, Strong Bad scolds him, saying "I made you a member of the secret sauce police, not a sailor! Where'd you learn to talk like that?" implying he swore (the game's internal files show that he says "I'm saying something that sounds kind of dirty!"). The Cheat then replies, and Strong Bad says, "Yes, war is that word you just said." which is a reference to the saying "War is Hell" (which is indeed what The Cheat says).
- Fan Costumes '08 — In the Toons menu, the cartoon is subtitled "They make a COST out of U and ME" (a play on the phrase "When you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME").
- Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective — Talking to Pom Pom in extended play has Strong Bad saying that he'll have to bleep what Pom Pom had just said, despite Pom Pom's lack of intelligible speech. The game's source code shows that one of Pom Pom's other lines (specifically, the one after Sultry Buttons steals Professor Experimento's ruby) has him call Dangeresque a "dumbass".
- Email winter pool (DVD commentary) — Strong Bad, at one point, says that he likes the story about the woman who had a student named "Shithead".
- Hooked on Decemberween — Brainkrieg's song includes the lyric "I'm gonna spell out a cuss word on the roof with Christmas lights!" The "cuss word" shown is "acuss".
- 8-bit is Enough — Strong Bad comments that the Halfathlon was "Half-Ath'd all right." This is a pun on the term "Half-Assed", meaning done poorly or without effort.
- SBCG4AP Dev Blog — Strong Bad uses the term "bullstyle", in substitute of "bullshit".
- Dangeresque Roomisode 1: Behind the Dangerdesque — If Dangeresque talks to the ashtray, he says "Your ash is grash!" (a play on the common term "Your ass is grass", a way to tell someone they are in trouble).
- Email videography — Strong Bad mentions a baby dropping an "f-bomb".
- TMBG Concert - 5 Mar 2010 — Homestar sings "But I know that's BS! Oh!" "BS" is short for "bullshit".
- Soap Box Doiby — In the draft for this unfinished toon, Pom Pom's car was described as a "kick-assing racer".
- Poker Night at the Inventory —
- Swears are said in the game, with a setting to censor most of them. However, Strong Bad's swears are censored regardless of the setting.
- After Heavy tells a story about how he brutally dealt with an enemy Engineer, laughing throughout, Strong Bad breaks the horrified silence by yelling "That is some [bleep]ed up [bleep], man!"