From Homestar Runner Wiki
Is Bubs' right? Or is it left?
There's no— there's no style guide, or continuity— we don't have a continuity person working on set.
- — Matt Chapman, geddup noise commentary
We're gonna play "Name That Inconsistency" later on if you want to join us.
- — Strong Sad, Page Load Error
With such an expansive bank of cartoons that rely so heavily on whimsical humor, it would be near impossible for The Brothers Chaps
to keep the Homestar Runner universe
completely consistent and have total continuity between cartoons. Because of this large size and humorous nature, various inconsistencies
occur throughout the website and the DVDs. These are usually very minor. According to the site's FAQ
, people often ask The Brothers Chaps about inconsistencies; to these questions they answer that "It was either done on purpose or it's just a cartoon and you probably shouldn't worry about it."
 Appearances of Inconsistencies
- Strong Mad — His height and weight are under constant scrutiny.
- Strong Bad's computers — Their capabilities tend to vary. Matt Chapman even points this out in the DVD commentary for homestar hair.
- The race track — In autobiography, lane five is the shortest lane, and seven the longest, while in disconnected, the roles are reversed.
- The computer room — In most cartoons, the door of the Computer Room is on the right side of the room, but in techno, interview, monument, and all episodes of SBCG4AP, it is on the left side.
- Email flashback:
- In the Yearbook Character Page, it says that The King of Town's reign as king dates back to "before any of you were born", but in this email, he is The Prince of Town and the other characters are, obviously, already born.
- To celebrate the 100th Strong Bad Email, the screen of the Compy 386 displays "Congratulations! You have answered 100 emails!", even though there were some episodes, such as 2 emails, where he answered more than one. He also checked 40 of these emails on the Tandy 400 and other computers.
- Strong Bad claims he lost count around email 51, but he began caffeine (the 91st Strong Bad Email) with "Coming in at number 91, it's, E-Maaaaaaaaaaail!"
- Strong Bad is in Jail Cartoon — The scene behind the fence is missing the Bear Holding a Shark that scared The Cheat in date.
- New Boots — Strong Bad claims that he doesn't wear underwear, but he is seen wearing underwear in stand-up, senior prom, Main Page 24 and nightlife.
- Email pom pom — Strong Bad cannot type legibly when he is blindfolded, but in impression he could type properly even while wearing a paper plate mask. In morning routine, he is also able to type with an empty potato chip bag on one hand.
- Strong Sad's Lament — Strong Sad writes that he can't jump, yet he manages to jump in A Jumping Jack Contest, as well as in Experimental Film, Kid Speedy, and boring (really).
- Email dreamail — Strong Bad imagines the Lappy as female, but in animal he claimed it was The Paper's "new brother".
- HomestarRunner.com PAY PLUS! — The ceiling of the Basement of the Brothers Strong is not as high as it was in The Li'l Brudder Show.
- Email bottom 10 — Strong Bad's list includes "Songs that try to pass off la la's, na na's, and doot do's as legit lyrics", but Strong Bad sang "Na na na" in the intro to secret recipes does it again in Trogday 08, and sings "da doot doot" in portrait.
- Email geddup noise — Strong Bad corrects an email that refers to The Geddup Noise as "the get up noise", as if he is unfamiliar with that name, but he had called Chairscoot by that name in the bet.
- Email bedtime story — The Cheat is slightly smaller compared to the grill than he is in Where's The Cheat? and pizza joint.
- This was most likely deliberate both so that The Cheat could hold onto his glass of Suudsu and so Strong Bad could fit three roach foggers into the grill.
- TrogdorCon '97 — The Cheat presumably reminds Strong Bad that he doesn't pay him, but in lackey, Strong Bad pays The Cheat with pencil shavings. Similarly, in rough copy, he pays The Cheat in soft tacos.
- Email alternate universe — Old-Timey Strong Bad calls the modern Strong Bad a "brightly-colored baboon," implying there is no color in the Old-Timey universe. However, the lyrics to the Ballad of The Sneak claimed The Sneak was yellow.
- Summer Short Shorts — The fence is seen to be between the woods and Bubs' Concession Stand, but was not at that location in Strong Bad is in Jail Cartoon.
- Email retirement — The hole in the screen of the Compy 386 is smaller than it was when Bubs shotgunned it in the end of virus.
- Email coloring — Marzipan says that "soy is also murder", yet in The Luau, she has a tofu party, and in do over, she asked "Homestar" for the soy crisps.
- Happy Hallow-Day — This toon indicates that the Spooky Woods are only spooky during Halloween night, or at least at night. However, in Where's The Cheat?, the woods appear as they do during the other Halloween toons, despite the fact it is neither Halloween nor night.
- Email rough copy — Strong Sad writes a note to himself to get a bigger notebook, and couldn't manage to write the word "notebook" on one page. However, in record book, he transcribed Paradise Lost onto a single grain of rice, in four languages. This is further contradicted in DNA Evidence, in which he writes down notes from various character confessions.
- Email concert — Strong Sad tells Strong Bad he never heard of Limozeen, but they watched Limozeen: "but they're in space!" together in best thing.
- Email hygiene — Coach Z has to ask Strong Bad where he can get hygiene, but in senior prom he assures Strong Sad he is spiking the punch with Listerine only because he is "looking out for all yer hygienes".
- Email pizza joint — Strong Bad was shocked to learn that there was "competition" between his pizza joint The Pizz and The Cheat's "Cheatsa Pizza", neglecting the existence of a third pizza brand, Bubs' Old Pizza.
- Email nightlife — Bubs' Concession Stand is shown to be to the left of Strong Badia, while in Summer Short Shorts and Strong Bad is in Jail Cartoon Bubs' Concession Stand was on Strong Badia's right.
- Marzipan's Answering Machine Version 15.2 — Strong Bad translates The Cheat's prank call for Marzipan, although Marzipan has been shown as being able to understand The Cheat's language, most notably in Date Nite and Halloween Potion-ma-jig.
- Blubb-O's Commercial — Bubs managed to open the window of the Gremlin, but in road trip, Strong Bad said the windows could not open from the inside.
- Email your edge — The Basement of the Brothers Strong is located underneath the Living Room of the Brothers Strong, but in HomestarRunner.com PAY PLUS! it was located underneath the Computer Room.
- Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People:
- Email email thunder — Strong Bad has to ask if Homestar has an email address, but he has previously forwarded an email to Homestar in credit card.
- 8-Bit Is Enough:
- The events of the game occur shortly after the gang all watches Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective. Even though the Computer Room had no calendar when Strong Bad brought the tape downstairs, there is one in 8-Bit is Enough.
- When Strong Bad jumps in Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective, he jumps straight at Marzipan. In 8-Bit Is Enough, he jumps towards the same place, but Marzipan isn't there anymore.
- Also, Strong Bad was surprised to learn that Charlemagne is a male; however, Strong Bad addressed the plant as a male in Strong Badia the Free.
- Hremail 7:
- This old-fashioned toon suggests Strong Bad knew about Hremails since 2001, yet in email thunder, Strong Bad seems surprised that Homestar also has an email show.
- Strong Bad is shown to have first gotten the Tandy 400 in 2001, but no loafing showed that he had it in 1987 as well.
- Additionally, the style of animation in this cartoon was never used in 2001.
- This email uses Strong Bad's fourth design, and shows that he did not know about emails back then. However, the flashbacks in personal favorites and lady...ing showed Strong Bad checking an email in his second design.
- Strong Bad had trouble saying the word "email" in Hremail #7 and seemed ignorant of the Internet. But in looking old, Strong Bad talked about "eStrong Vague Online Investments" that was sold in the late 1990s.
- Homestar Runner was unable to recognize a computer in 50 emails, despite Hremail 7 implying he understood technology in 2001.
- 4 Gregs — Cheerleader says she is more of a cheerleader in the way she dresses and treats other girls, but she was seen cheering in Homestar Ruiner.
- Email hremail3184 — Strong Bad is shown to have an email from Homestar, but in candy product he mentions that the Lappy has a Homestar junkmail filter.
- On Break — Strong Bad denies being a smoker despite the fact that he's been seen smoking a cigar in Store Thank You Message.
- Which Ween Costumes? — The King of Town suggests in his Easter egg that he is around 303 years old. However, in space program, released five years earlier, he claimed to be in his sixties.
 See Also