From Homestar Runner Wiki
|Game Category: New Game|| |
StrongBadZone is a vector graphics game that plays similarly to the Diamonds 3D game for the PC and Mac. You are a spikey-headed cyber-shield guy (with a cyber-shield) trying to block "perplexing 3D geometric attacks" that come flipping toward you. If you hit them, they bounce back. The object of the game is to try to hit Vector Strong Bad's head until it disappears. The game's graphical style appears to be a reference to Nintendo's ill-fated 3D system, the Virtual Boy. The graphics of the console were well-known for solely consisting of the colors red and black, much like those in StrongBadZone. In particular, the game stylistically resembles the Virtual Boy vector game Red Alarm, which at one point also features a large face that must be destroyed. StrongBadZone first appeared in the Strong Bad Email video games, and is the source of the quote, "Your head a splode!" (and variants such as "Your phone a splode!"and "Well, my head a splode!").
Note: You actually can't win or lose the original version of the game. When your head a splodes, you just continue the game. And when you destroy Strong Bad's head, a new one appears, except in the Wii version.
Date: Monday, January 12, 2004
Page Title: I Strong Bad! I hunger!
Viidelectrix Page Title: Strong
Move left and right with arrow keys
Hit 'A' for shield left
Hit 'S' for shield center
Hit 'D' for shield right
Try to hit Strong Bad's big head
Click to start
 Fun Facts
- An otherwise unused sequence of "BACK OFF BABY" is found at the end of the Flash file.
- On some systems it can be heard by right-clicking on the game and leaving the menu up when Vector Strong Bad says "YOUR HEAD A SPLODE", then waiting a couple of seconds.
- This sequence plays when you beat the Wii version of the game. A typo in the code caused it not to play in the original.
- In the original, using a seek bar reveals that Vector Strong Bad breaks apart in the sequence. In the Viidelectrix version, he doesn't.
- If the cyber-shield guy and Vector Strong Bad are positioned just right, right-clicking the screen and pressing either the PLAY button or the BACK button (on the Flash file version of the game) will result in the guy and Vector Strong Bad 'freezing', but the object thrown at the guy will continue to bounce off of his shield and proceed to hit Vector Strong Bad, eventually killing him and making a new head appear. But when you press play again, if the object bounced off of the guy at all it will make 'your head a splode' and treat the player as though the guy had been hit.
- In the Wii version, however, doing so makes it treat the player as though Vector Strong Bad has been defeated.
- Very rarely, when Vector Strong Bad's attack hits his wall, he will speed up greatly for a few seconds and then return to normal speed, but the projectile will be stuck in the back of the room moving back and forth.
- There is a glitch when playing the Wii version - rarely, when the projectile hits the top left or top right of the area, it stays stuck along that side, no matter if you allow it to "a splode" your head, deflect it, or miss it, forcing the player to have to refresh the game.
- Another glitch involves the projectile apparently hitting the shield as though it has hit the back wall. If you deflect the projectile, it will move along the exact line it came at you and will continue to do so for as long as the file is loaded (it cannot be fixed no matter which direction you raise the shield or whether you dodge the projectile or allow your head to a splode).
- This has been fixed in the Wii version.
- In the Wii Version, if you manage to completely destroy Vector Strong Bad's head and have the projectile hit the player at the same time, the Cyber-Shield guy disappears without explosion, and only Vector Strong Bad's eyes are on-screen when he says "BACK OFF BABY".
 Inside References
- The page title "I Strong Bad, I Hunger" is similar to the page titles of RhinoFeeder ("I Rhino, I Hunger") and Thy Dungeonman ("Thy Dungeonman, Thy Hunger"). (See also Real-World References.)
- The game's music is similar to the music that plays in Where's The Cheat? during the "montage", as well as the end of little animal.
 Real-World References
- The page title is a possible reference to the old arcade game Sinistar. In Sinistar, you battled a large spaceship shaped like a head that would say, "I hunger!". (See also Inside References.)
- In addition, Strong Bad's floating head is a reference to Sinistar's giant head that would also have to be destroyed piece by piece. The voice also somewhat resembles Sinistar's voice.
- The name is derived from Battlezone, another game with vector graphics.
- The game is a parody of the 36th level of the NES game Arkanoid, where the player battles "DOH", a vector-based floating head who fires square projectiles from his mouth.
There are several differences between the original version of the game and the Viidelectrix version.
- The instructions are different:
Move left and right with Wiimote
Point to above+left of player for shield left
Point to above+right of player for shield right
Point to above+center of player for shield center
Using shield stops movement
Try to hit Strong Bad's big head
Press 'A' to start
- The controls have been modified for the Wii Remote. When accessing the game from a computer, the character follows the mouse.
- A scoring system was added – the score counts how long it takes you to win (in seconds, not counting time spent while your head a splodes). A lower score is better.
- The default best score, 10000, corresponds to a game taking 2 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds.
- The shield can be used for as long as the player wants, instead of for a second. However, using it also stops the player from moving.
- The game music plays in the Viidelectrix version.
- Using the shield actually points the projectile in the direction the shield is facing when it hits it.
- If the shield was at center position, the projectile will bounce off normally with no direction change.
- The "BACK OFF BABY" sequence is used when Vector Strong Bad has been completely destroyed, as noted above. The game then restarts.
- When "YOUR HEAD A SPLODE," Vector Strong Bad rebuilds himself by one hit each time.
- If the projectile misses your character, a new projectile is shot from Vector Strong Bad's position, rather than appearing in the position it disappeared at. See Glitches for more information.
- Each time you hit Vector Strong Bad, he groans, but more of monotone "Ah".
- If your head a splodes, the projectile will continue spinning, as opposed to freezing.
- If your head a splodes in the short time between the eyes exploding and 'Back Off Baby', the eyes will respawn like any other part.
- Each time you deflect the projectile, it speeds up.
 External Links
- play the Game
- play the Game (Flash file)
- play the Wii version of the game
- play the Wii version of the game (Flash file)
- listen to the Game Music